Degree Show Preparation

After what felt like both a millisecond and a millennium in time, installation week arrived. There were essentially three stages to transforming the area from a studio into an exhibition space, or technically four if you include the stage of repeating most of the painting after the gum-taped walls fell down. First was the blank…

The Degree Show Monsters

Progressing from the miniature experiments I had made earlier, I decided to scale them up into giant versions. Made from metres of calico and edged with black ink and blanket-stitched thread, the three monsters I chose  were  unique in both form and features, yet similar in style and material. I wanted them to retain a…

My Mental Monsters Book

Throughout the year, drawing has been an important aspect of my work and I have accumulated many monster drawings and sketches over the past six months. I thought it best to highlight some of my favourites and collate them into a picture book. This will be shown alongside my sculptures at the Degree Show. The…

Working with Plus Perth

As part of the research into mental wellbeing, I contacted Plus Perth who are a charity focused on promoting positive mental health. They agreed to help me with my work. Over a number of meetings, Plus Perth’s members were invited to draw their own representation of mental health through monsters. They were given a range…

Framing Monsters

  For my Degree Show project I decided to include an  A0 frame of  a select number of the Mental Monsters all together  in one drawing. It was also my first time making a frame for the drawing  at the wood workshop  in DJCAD. Out of other options I felt that framing the image was…

Monster Maquettes

  Developing further from my drawings, I made my first soft- fabricated models. These were made by using ink and pen – similar to the drawings- before being roughly sewn together with black thread to create the creepy monster aesthetic. I wanted to keep the details minimal, with pupil-less eyes haloed in black  and a…

Monster Development Sketches

  At  the start of the new semester I began narrowing down the drawings to three individual monsters of which I shall make my first 3-D maquettes from. I tried to pick three which all had different elements in their style and shape to allow me to experiment more. The  images show drawing developments of  the…

Monster Groupings

Previously, all my drawings had been of individual monsters. I wanted to explore what they would look like together, in relation to size, shape and form. I felt that the personalities of each monster became more distinct when drawn with other monsters.

Black Ink Drawing Developments

  After experimenting  with the simplicity of black ink, I moved away from the unsettling and creepy quality I had previously aimed for. I researched various children’s books and looked into different styles of illustrations for ideas. By adopting a more expression-filled cartoon appearance in comparison to the less detailed featureless creatures, I feel that…